12 February 2014

Wordful Wednesday//Old Habits Die Hard

Who What Wear calls it "Cameron's Dad-itis" (slide 10) from the Ferris Bueller's Day Off character, Cameron Frye. Who What Wear describes this "fashion anxiety disorder" as "the unwillingness to wear an expensive or precious item due to an irrational fear of ruining it."

With Cameron Frye--just in case you've never watched that fun-filled '80s film (really?!)--his anxiety resides with whether or not he and his friend, Ferris, should take his father's 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California out for a spin. Evidently his father is extremely particular with this car that he's taken years to restore and even has the mileage memorized.


Now, I don't have quite the same pleasure as owning that gem of a car (and I don't rub mine with a diaper).

But I do have this habit...

Whenever I buy something that's nice in my eyes, for whatever reason (it doesn't even have to be expensive), I have trouble using it. It could be something as small as a fancy journal to something as nice as an expensive, well-made pair of boots.

I will make random, off the top of my head excuses for why I haven't used the item--
"Oh, well, I've been using my other journal, trying to fill it up first." (OK, sort of true.)
"Oh, I'm scared the rain will mess up the suede on the boots!" (Ehh...reasonable for now.)

But then two months have gone by and the excuses are scant and the boots and the journal are still waiting to be used.

The other problem is that I'm not just scared I'll mess up what I've bought; I'm scared I'll use up the items. Especially makeup. It's not that I'm a cheapskate and in a frenzy about money, it's just this weird obsession with keeping what I have. I know you're supposed to use up makeup after a certain amount of time but wow...I'm not that person.

Also, you know how many girls will complain they're going through bobby pins like a Tasmanian devil?
I reuse a single bobby pin to the point where I'm almost sick of it. But it's because I'm scared I'll use the whole pack up. It's disturbing!


Do you have any bad beauty habits?


No comments :

Post a Comment

Post a Comment