23 July 2014

Wordful Wednesday//Gag Me with A Spoon

Dealing with a chronic illness means allocating your "spoons."

If you have no earthly idea what I'm talking about, you can get to know "the spoon theory" here.
But if you'd rather have it spelled out for you, the words taken from here do a great job of summing it up:
A person who is chronically disabled or ill only has a limited amount of expendable energy each day. The spoon theory uses a metaphor of spoons to turn energy into a measurable concept. A person living with chronic illness or disability only has a certain number of spoons in their possession each day, and every small action a person takes can result in a lost spoon. Once a person loses a spoon, it is very hard to get that back until after a full night’s sleep. Simple actions like getting out of bed, taking a shower, walking, and driving can require enormous amounts of energy that people don’t have.
Lately I've felt as though I've had no spoons.
Every single action requires the though of "is it worth it?" (let me work it...haha kidding!)
So when I found this neat little chart below, I thought it was a great visual to show to others what I talk about when I mention spoons, and what I mean by every action requires spoons, leaving me pooped.

spoon lyme visual

Take time today to either appreciate what you can do if you aren't tangled up with a chronic illness, or if you are, take time to rest and heal--we need our spoons!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Post a Comment